Thinking of selling your home? The most important and cost-effective improvements you can make to get your home ready for sale are often the least expensive and the fastest!
Buyers love properties that are move-in ready; these tend to sell the most quickly. Alternately, houses priced at a significant discount to account for a less-than-ideal condition can attract buyers who are willing to close quickly. Which is right for you? Give me a call at 925.699.0031 and I can give the best advice for the current market. Consider Intero’s Pinnacle Concierge program – a great way to make repairs and improvements with no upfront cost!
I want to sell my house fast!
When the housing market is slow, homes in better condition tend to sell much faster than homes in poor condition.
Here’s a list of some relatively inexpensive “fixes” to get your home ready for sale.
Clean, clean, and clean again before and during listing your home
- It’s well worth it to have your house thoroughly professionally deep-cleaned prior to putting it on the market. Hiring a maid service and steam-cleaning your carpets is a great investment to get your home ready for sale.
- When your house is on the market, be ready! Spend a few minutes every morning making beds, tidying countertops, and assuring that there are no “off” smells. You never know when the perfect buyer will want to tour your home.
A great front door makes a great first impression for buyers
“Curb appeal” is often cited as a critical persuasion point for home buyers. Your front door is your best chance to make a great first impression.
- Clean the door and front porch area
- Check for spiderwebs
- Paint if necessary. Add a “color bowl” of blooming annuals or a great potted plant.
De-clutter your house for maximum impact – and quick home sale
Too much furniture makes a room look smaller and less appealing. A month or two of short-term storage rental is an excellent investment and can help you get a head start on your move!
- Remove as much furniture as possible. Remove extra chairs/occasional tables if not absolutely needed.
- Clear and organize closets! Buyers love to check out storage spaces, and an organized “minimalist” approach shows buyers that the space can be organized easily.
- Put away personal photographs. Buyers like to imagine themselves in a home.
- Stacks of paper in office areas/bedrooms? Here’s your chance to finally file them away.
- Store away personal care products in the bathroom.
Preparing your yard when selling your home
Try to view your yard with a critical, fresh eye.
- Keep the lawn mowed
- Remove dead leaves/debris
- Clear away dead plants and add fresh greenery.
- A stack of old lumber? Some plastic pots that should be recycled? Dispose or store these out of sight.
- Consider painting or staining decks and fences.
- A container garden with growing vegetables adds an inviting touch.
Staging your home for sale
While professional staging can help your property sell more quickly, it can be expensive. Take some tips from the pros to help your home look its best.
- Fresh flowers in main rooms/bathrooms add visual appeal
- Folded matching towels in the bathroom give a clean look
- Leave the lights on – and add lamps – to increase brightness in dark rooms
- A bowl of lemons or other fruit in the kitchen freshens the area
- An outdoor patio table with a tablecloth, a book and a couple of wine glasses lets potential buyers imagine relaxation.
I am always available to consult with my clients to help make the decisions that will maximize your home’s value within your budget and can provide you with the resources needed for outside help.
Be flexible and ready to show when your home is ready for sale!
Click here for information about the importance of availability in showing your home – and some tips on how to make it easier to do so.
Call me to get your home sold fast!
I will do a free, no-obligation of your home’s value, and show you the best ways to get your house sold fast.
Call me at (925)699-0031, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for a free, no-obligation appraisal of your home’s value and how I can help.
Copyright ©2019 Tom Nevin. All rights reserved. Helping sell real estate in Walnut Creek, Lafayette, Alamo, Pleasant Hill, Rossmoor, and the greater East Bay Area.